Friday, May 16, 2008

Book Review: The Prophet

Francine Rivers has written a series of books entitled Sons of Encouragement. There are 5 books in this series which take a look at different men of the Bible. This book is the fourth in the series (although there is no particular order in which to read them) and it is about the prophet Amos. It took me some time to get into the book, but once I put myself into the book, I really enjoyed it. We don't study the prophets a lot in our churches and we miss so much by doing this. Mrs. Rivers has taken the book of Amos from the Bible and written a background and behind the scenes for us. She is quick to mention in her introduction that this is a book of historical fiction, but includes information from the Bible as well as secular history. The book helped me to see what a tough job the prophets really had as they went to tell God's messages. What I enjoyed most about the book, was at the end of the story there is a brief section of 6 studies that require you to open your Bible, look at the word for yourself and apply what Amos said to the people of Israel to your life. I look forward to getting some more books from this series and becoming more encouraged to stand strong and firm in what I believe.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...