Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Why's and Where's of Hospitality

I am sorry it has taken me forever to get this hospitality series done.  Life has been  . . . . well, crazy! I loved this study and believe there is so much else we could learn!!  If you want the rest of the lessons, go down to my labels and click on "Hospitality" to see the rest of the posts.  If you want the worksheet that goes along with these lessons, you can click here to print it.  As for the drawing, my sweet and VERY hospitable friend, Kristen, is the winner!! Thanks, Kristen, for all your support! I will get it to you on Sunday, Kristen!!!

For now, I am going to keep the post like this - sorry it is not as read friendly, but I wanted to at least get it up. I will come back later and fix it!!!

WHY SHOULD WE BE HOSPITABLE?
1.      To be obedient
a.     Romans 12:10-13 – “given to” – something we are prone to do; a tendency; something we automatically do because it is part of our nature
b.     Elders and families are to be (1 Timothy 3:2, Titus 1:8)
2.     To minister to lost souls
a.     Don’t show hospitality to only those who will return it (Luke 14:12-14)
3.     To be good stewards of what God has given us
a.     Deuteronomy 8:17-18
b.     1 Timothy 6:17-19
4.     To be like Christ
a.     He served others – we should as well
b.     John 13:34-35
c.     He was hospitable even though He did not have a house (Matt. 8:20)
                                               i.     He showed compassion (Matt. 15:32-39)
                                             ii.     He watched out for all needs of all people (Matt. 25:36)
d.     Jesus received hospitality as well
e.     Giving hospitality is very easy for me. I love taking people food, and helping people clean, or whatever they need. I LOVE giving hospitality. However, I am very bad at receiving hospitality. Jesus received hospitality all the time yet I have a hard time doing just that. You can learn so much by receiving hospitality too. This is probably another discussion for another time but it has been on my mind.
5.     To encourage other Christians
6.     To develop friendships

WHERE CAN WE BE HOSPITABLE?

Kristen mentioned “Your Turf” – this is where you can be hospitable.  What is your turf?
1.      In God’s church family –
a.     Wherever God’s church meets anyone should have a home – no matter how far away their actual home is
b.     My friend, Jennifer, mentioned this on her blog.
I have actually gone to a different Bible class in the past because no one said anything to me when I came to the class.  I am not blaming anyone, because I could have been more out going and I was not exactly a new face...but if I was a new person or if I were visiting, I would not have felt welcome. 

I remember Valerie Watrous introducing herself to someone, and she saying, " I don't think I have met you yet".  That way she  even the person was not new...no biggie.  She had not met them before!  I have used that line many times, now.

Here in China, we meet on Sundays in our home.  Sometimes folks come for the first time.  It is important to make people feel welcome and a part of the "family" here.  The culture does not really support what we do, so we have to make them feel a part of a family.  If they do not feel comfortable in my home, I might not be able to develop a relationship with them, and then I will not have a chance to share Greater things with them.


2.     In our home –
a.      What are you doing to open your home?
b.     Do you invite “strangers” into your home? You may be entertaining angels – Hebrews 13:2, Genesis 18
3.      In our workspace –
4.     In your family –
5.     On your facebook page/blog page
6.     In your community

AM I BEING HOSPITABLE?
1.      Am I as hospitable as I can be?
2.     Am I showing the love of Jesus to others?
3.     Am I friendly on and offline?
4.     Do others see Christ in me everywhere I go?
5.     Am I showing hospitality in my facial features, my words, and my deeds?

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Woo hoo! I'm excited! =) And I'm excited to print out the whole study since I wasn't in the class! Thanks for doing this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...