Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Saturday, January 24, 2009
1. I am a Christian who falls short every day.
2. I am a wife to Damon - who is amazing! I thank God for him.
3. I love being a momma to Laura Beth (6) and Carter (5).
4. I have parents who are way beyond supportive!
5. Richard is the oldest younger brother who has a doctorate from Auburn. I make fun of him saying it is about planes, trains, automobiles and dirt, but really he is amazing. I am very proud of him!
6. Chuck is the youngest brother. He is living in LA and is an extra in some super cool shows coming up - the Unit, Numbers, Lie to Me and Heroes. Proud of him, too!
7. I miss both of my brothers every day!
8. I was 10 days late when I was born and moved when I was 8 days old!!
9. I am an Air Force brat.
10. I have lived in San Antonio, TX; Columbus, MS; Texas again, Henderson, TN; Enid, OK; Texas again, Waldorf, MD; Henderson again, Nashville, TN; Henderson again.
11. I have a teaching degree but I don't want to go back into the classroom - unless necessary!
12. If I could do any job in the world, I would write curriculum for Bible classes.
13. I have written curriculum our church uses for the 3 year olds and Kindergarten classes.
14. I LOVE taking pictures. (This is a huge understatement.)
15. I love to create - whether scrapbooking, cards or Bible games.
16. I am getting a craft room in the new house!! Whoo Hoo!
17. I LOVE planning birthday parties for Laura Beth and Carter.
18. I love going to Sonic - Very Strawberry Vanilla Dr. Peppers are my favorite but . . . .
19. I don't drink carbonated drinks unless it has been one of those days!
20. I love to read whenever I get a chance.
21. Carter is DEATHLY allergic to peanuts and peanut products.
22. I am a girl and I can talk sports - esp. Alabama football, Braves baseball, Titans football and Duke basketball.
23. I have way too many childrens' books according to my husband. (You can never have enough!)
24. I love New York City - esp. at Christmas time.
25. I have the best friends in the whole wide world and don't know what I would do without them!
With that said, I have to tag some of you now!!! So here goes . . . . . I tag:
Have fun ladies!
Thursday, January 22, 2009
- Cecily - Because of her and her amazing parents, I am able to stay home with my babies. They spoil me!!!
- Wonderful Heroes for my Children - I have mentioned so many times on this blog the amazing college students we have around us. We are blessed to still be able to go to the basketball games were some of my children's heroes play on the basketball court. We are so blessed for such good role models. My kids will see them on the basketball court on nights and then at church worshipping God the next day. These players are right up there with professional athletes for my children.
- Kim, my crazy basketball buddy - Kim and I are too much alike in many ways (we are different, too). One way we are alike is our love for FHU basketball. We have our same seats for every game and people know they better not mess with them. We have tried other seats and they just don't work. We have "names" for the refs and yell out our support throughout most of the game.
- Hobby Lobby Half-Off Sale - for without this I cannot create.
- My church family - We have been blessed beyond measure with a wonderful, kind and loving church family. We enjoy getting together to worship our Father in Heaven when called together as well as other times during the week.
- The Old Testament - We have been called upon to read the Old Testament this year in our congregation. We read throughout the week and, then on Sunday night, our lesson comes from our reading. What wonderful stories we have in the Old Testament! We are shown that God takes imperfect people and uses them for His glory. What a lesson and encouragement for us! Thank you, elders, Daniel and Justin, for this great challenge!
- No School Days - I love days when we are all home. How special this week was to have an extra day of play, relaxing and just enjoying each other!
- America - What a country we live in! I don't know if it stems from my Air Force roots or what but I love our country and the people that make it what it is. I love that we can speak our minds and vote. I also love that we can dream of a better tomorrow of ourselves and our children.
- My Children's Teachers - We have always been blessed with good teachers for our children. Each teacher has always encouraged my children to be themselves while learning new things and building upon what they already know. We have been especially blessed in that Laura Beth has been able to have the same teacher for the past 2 years (and it helps that she is one of my best friends!!). We pray to God that He will always put them in the place where they can best grow and He has been ever faithful to us in that regard.
- Damon - I know I have already bragged on him this week, but I am thankful for his hard work to get our house ready for us to live in. Lord willing, next week I will have pictures up of the new house. It is because of Damon's hard work that we are going to be in the house this early!
Look back over your week - what are you thankful for? Join us!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
"Then if my people, who are called by my name, are sorry for what they have done, if they pray and obey me and stop their evil ways, I will hear them from heaven. I will forgive their sin, and I will heal their land."
"And this is the boldness we have in God’s presence: that if we ask God for anything that agrees with what He wants, He hears us."
"Will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice in You?"
"Our fight is not against people on earth but against the rulers and authorities and the powers of this world’s darkness, against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenly world."
" . . . O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant of love with those who love Him and obey commands, let Your ear be attentive and Your eyes open to hear the prayer Your servant is praying before You day and night . . . I confess the sins we . . . have committed against You."
Monday, January 19, 2009
As a dad, Damon is wonderful. He shows them they are important by getting on their level when talking to them . . . playing game after game after game with them . . . wrestling with them . . . reading to them . . . teaching them about God and how to live a life for Him.
As a husband, Damon is amazing. He always takes the time to show and tell me how much he appreciates what I do for him, the kids and our family . . . he takes the kids away at times to give me alone time . . . he takes charge of bath time at night so I can clean the kitchen or get ready for the next day . . . he lets me go out with my girlfriends for a night.
As a Christian, Damon is unwavering. People do not know all the things he does because he is not the one who wants to be in front of people all the time. He would prefer people not to know what he does and prefers not to be the one out in front. He works with all ages - teaching young children in Bible class (when most men won't) and planning VBS . . . being a friend to the teens - one they can call to play a game of pick up basketball . . . encouraging the college kids to get involved with the church work and providing them an example of how to be a Christian father and husband . . . helping the seniors plan their special day once a year and working behind the scenes all day so they can enjoy their special day.
The main reason I am praising him today is because of all that has gone on with him the past month. While he was disappointed in his job loss, he did not keep his head down. He has gotten out there and pursued jobs. He has put COUNTLESS hours in on our new house getting it ready for us to move in (hopefully this week!!). He knows his God is in control and His timing is not our own. He is waiting patiently for God's will to be shown, but is not just sitting around waiting for it to happen.
Thank you, Damon, for your love, friendship and wonderful example to all of us! We love you very much!
Saturday, January 17, 2009
- Read - Curious George, Clifford, Little House on the Prairie, and American Girl.
- Rudolph - because he can fly.
- Richard - He is my uncle and I love to race him (I always beat him!).
- Roses - They are pretty flowers.
- Ripe Pears - They are so good to eat and they taste juicy.
- Rice - I like to go to Rice (Los Portales) with Lawson, Jagger, and Carter. When I get bigger, I am going to drive us there and we are going to eat all the rice! I also like to go with Gran and Grandad.
- Roast Beef - It smells so good when it is cooking. I think we are going to have it for lunch tomorrow!! YUM!!
- Run - I can run super fast
- Recycle - I always ask Momma if we can recycle something before I throw it away.
- Rock - I love to watch Camp Rock. I love to sing in my room!!!
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
1. Rangers - Texas Rangers, the baseball team.
2. Ryan Howard - He is a big boy. He plays first base for the Phillies.
3. Raccoon - I just like animals.
4. Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer - I love singing this song.
5. R2-D2 - I love Star Wars and he is one of my favorites.
6. Rainbows - They are beautiful. I had a good story about this - see it here.
7. Red - Because the Braves wear red jeseys on Sundays!
8. Aunt Rebecca, Uncle Richard, Aunt ReRe, Aunt RoRo - special people in my family
9. Right field - Mr. Justin use to play right field for the big lions and Frenchy plays right field for the Braves.
10. Rabbits - I like the way they hop.
Well, there you go. A 5 year olds list of his favorite "R" things. Thanks, Cade! Laura Beth is going to work on her list as well. She was a bit jealous!
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
1. Recipes . . . I love trying new recipes, looking for recipes, and collecting recipes of all kinds. I just recently made a recipe scrapbook with recipes from my late grandmama. I had so much fun doing this. Which leads me to . . . . .
2. Rachel Ray . . . I admit it - I am hooked! I watch her show. I get her magazine. I can't wait to try her recipes from both the show and magazine. She is just great!
3. Relatives . . . I have been blessed beyond measure with my family - immediate and extended. We are so close - all of us. I have cousins who I consider to be just like my brothers and sisters. I have other cousins that I LONG to be closer to and, with this great technology, we are getting there. I could not ask for better aunts and uncles than those I have. God has blessed me and I pray I am a blessing to them as well. Which leads me to . . . .
4. Rebecca . . . is my name and my sister-in-law's name and my cousin-in-law's name. Richard . . . is my brother's name. He is pretty sickening how amazing he is! He has just married a wonderful lady and is a Dr.!!!! (told you - sickening!) RoRo . . . is short for Rosemary which is my aunt's name. I could not say "Rosemary" when I was little. It came out "RoRo" and has stuck, yes even at 31 years old. Rick . . . my crazy uncle who is always looking for a way to pick on me! Ross . . . my cousin who is currently serving our country as an Air Force pilot in the Middle East. Ross also looks JUST LIKE MY DAD!! Those strong Willis genes are very scary. I think this is it. I am afraid I am missing someone - sorry, if I am!!!
5. Roll Tide . . . I am a huge Alabama football fan!! I have stood by them through thick and thin. Although we ended the season on a low point, it was a great season and I know we will only improve - we better!!!!
6. Reading . . . I love to read. Damon use to make fun of me because ALL I read was children's books. My favorites: Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, Dear America books, Curious George, Dr. Seuss and oh so many more. However, I have grown up and enjoy reading books by Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott and other "classics." I also love reading Karen Kingsbury, Lori Wick (I have read ALL of her books), Lynn Austin and am currently reading the Twilight books. The kids and I read all the time - anything and everything. I can't get enough!
7. Rockin' . . . I love music!! Any kinds - worship music, Broadway music, pop music, country music, Harry Connick, Jr., Michael Buble, etc. . . . I will even listen to High School Musical, Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana when my kids are not in the car!! I also love to rock on Guitar Hero. I am a little addicted!
8. Roman Holiday . . . I love old movies and if Audrey Hepburn is in them that is even better!
9. Road Trips . . . I am always up for a road trip ANYWHERE!!! I always try to have fun in the car and am trying to instill this in my daughter!! Unfortunately, I don't get to go on many anymore, but I am always ready to go somewhere - even if it is just to the corner store.
10. Red . . . is my favorite color. Many things that I love go back to the color red. . . Christmas . . . our college kids' colors are red and white. . . Almost everything in my closet is red. . . the Braves wear red jerseys if they are home on Sunday (although I am still trying to decide if I like this or not) . . . Titans have a little red in their colors . . . Coca-Cola stuff is all in my kitchen (hopefully you will get to see pics soon) . . . I could go on, but I will stop.
I loved doing this exercise. It made me really look at me and think of my favorite things. Want to play? Leave a comment and let me know. I promise no one will get "Q," "Y," or "Z." Come on . . . it's fun and I would love to learn more about you!
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Stir up love and good works
Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing, some have unwittingly entertained angels.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
His welcome letters and things to know he received from the Honor Flight people. Also included is a newspaper clipping with his picture saying he was one of the ones going as well as his name badge and small pocket flag someone had given him.
- choose two or three key colors
- choose a simple layout that can be used on all pages
- choose a few simple embellishments so the focus is on the pictures of the event or day
Friday, January 9, 2009
Thursday, January 8, 2009
The ups in my life over the past few weeks.
The downs in my life over the past few weeks.
Trying to keep our prospective.
A glimpse of our little world.
Thanks so much for the love and support today! Come back anytime you want!
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
The kids were so excited about the party. They helped make his cake - a fishing cake (Tyler is one of the founders of the FHU Fishing Team). Carter made him a birthday crown and a sign that says, "Take Me Fishing!" Laura Beth made him a paper airplane. We enjoyed one of Tyler's favorite meals, chicken and beef enchiladas, Spanish rice, green beans, sweet tea and birthday cake. Thanks for letting us celebrate your birthday with you, Tyler! We are so proud of you and love you!
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Saturday, January 3, 2009
Tonight, I was in the kitchen and Laura Beth came running in screaming, "I found it! I found it!" Yes sirree, she had found her tooth. Where? Under the couch! Go figure! Damon said, "Well, no wonder the tooth fairy did not find it. Who would have thought to look under there!" So tonight, another note has been written (with the tooth taped to the note):
The Crimson Tide had a much better season than I ever thought they would have this year, so I must think positively and always remember:
Roll Tide Roll!
Friday, January 2, 2009
Thursday, January 1, 2009
I don't know if I have ever started a new year with such uncertainty as I do 2009. Even before this uncertainty came upon my family, I was thinking about the new year and what I wanted to accomplish in it. I am not much on resolutions, because too many times I fall VERY short of them. However, I did want to see 2009 as a year which our family will never forget. Instead of clear cut resolutions, I have chosen scripture to guide our lives this year.
For my children, I want them to learn to live and grow by Luke 2:52.
"Jesus grew in wisdom, stature and in favor with God and man."
I want them to grow in wisdom from their school studies and Bible studies. I want them to grow strong physically and healthy. I want them to grow in favor with God. I want them to learn about God but, more importantly, I want them to learn how they, at their young ages, can LIVE for God. I want them to grow in favor with man. I want them to take what they have learned about God and treat others the way God would want them to. This may sound like a tall order for a 6 and 5 year old, but bringing things down to their level and with God's help and guidance, I know Damon and I can do this. My children already teach me so much. I know I will continue to "treasure all these things in my heart" (Luke 2:51b) as I see them grow.
For Damon I want him to learn and lean upon the wise man's words in Proverbs 3:5-6:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.
I cannot even begin to imagine what is going on in Damon's head right now, but I know his attitude and determination have been amazing. He really is a wonderful Christian man - father and husband. I know God has BIG plans for this guy and I can't wait to see them unfold in 2009. I do know I want Damon to not get discouraged but to follow this verse, even in the hard times, until God's will is shown more clearly.
For me, I want to learn to live the latter verses I have been clinging to these past few weeks. I feel like I have worn Jeremiah 29:11 out but too many times we stop at verse 11. I want to continue to live verse 11 but also verses 12-13:
Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you see Me with all your heart.
I want . . . I yearn . . . I desire . . . to become a woman of prayer this year. This is something that amazes me . . . calls to me . . . and overwhelms me. I want to find my niche when it comes to developing a prayer life. I have seen different things and heard of different things and this year I want to find what works best for me. I hope to share some of my discoveries with you and pray that you will share your ideas with me. I know I will not have it all down by this time next year, but I know I can do a better job and have a better relationship with my Father in heaven.
I cannot believe all the love and support I have gained from this blog that started out as a whim a little over a year ago. I know it has been a blessing in my life and I pray, in some small way, it has blessed you as well. Happy New Year and may God be glorified in all we do in 2009!