Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Book Review: So Far This Summer . . .

I told myself at the end of the school year that I was going to read  . . . read . . . read this summer.  I did not care if I just read one whole day . . . I was going to do it, but . . . I haven't.  I have read a lot and have a lot I want to get to.  I thought I would share some of my reads this summer.  All have been good and very different . . .

1.  The Vow -  This book is the real story that the movie The Vow was based around.  I have not seen the movie still, but I have talked to people who have seen the movie.  While many things are still the same, the couple's faith that led them through this horrific deal is not a major part of the movie.  Sad, but true.  The Carpenters are good with the movie's portrayal of their story and when they are called to interview their faith is brought out then. I was very amazed and very impressed with their story. I cannot even imagine having to go through what they did.  It was a very quick and easy read.  It makes you think about your relationships and what you would be willing to do for those people in your life.




2.  The Hunger Games Trilogy - I actually read all 3 books in a matter of days.  I won't tell you how long it took my dad (who can be the slowest reader on the planet) to read them. (ACCHHH-3 days-HHOOO)  What did I think of them? LOVED LOVED LOVED - especially books 1 and 2.  I liked 3, but it was not my favorite.  I had read Hunger Games during my Christmas vacation, but after seeing the movie (finally) I felt like I needed to reread it before I went on, and I am so glad I did.  Now, I will not let Laura Beth and Carter read them (especially 2 and 3) for a long time, but I absolutely enjoyed the series.  It may be my next Harry Potter - ones I have to reread before the movies come out in the theaters.  If you haven't read them and even think these are not "your kind of books" (Dad), try them just so you know what is going on and can say one day that you have read (or tried to read) them.




3.  Love Finds You in Deadwood, South Dakota - I actually read this one in between some of the Hunger Games books for reasons I really don't remember now.  I really enjoy the Love Finds You series.  They are usually very easy to read books that I can just sit down and knock out in no time at all.  I am the kind of reader who needs books like that a lot!  I find myself especially reading these kinds of books during the school year.  However, back to this one . . . I really enjoyed this book.  Jane has been left a son, a child on the way, a loan that has not been paid off (and is in serious trouble) and more troubles by her worthless husband who has been killed.  Franklin is the man who is trying to collect the debt or the land that Jane is not willing to let go so easily.  Even in her "condition" she drives the freight load to try to pay off the debt her husband and built for her.  More trouble comes her way and Franklin is torn between how he can help when he is the one she is fighting against.  This was one of my favorites (although I think I say that about a lot of them after I read them), and would highly recommend it to anyone who needs an easy read.



4.  Chasing the Sun - see the review here.

5.  I was Jane Austen's Best Friend - I LOVE Jane Austen and always have.  I find myself trying to read anything by her and about her, so when this book came across in the book order this spring I knew it was a have to get book for me.  This book is fiction with a lot of facts in it.  Jenny is Jane's cousin and the book is Jenny's diary of a year where she lived with Jane and Jane's family.  It does include factual events and people from Cora Harrison's research.  Of course, not a lot is known of Jane's early life so that is where Cora took some liberties.  I really could not put the book down.  I found it so intriguing and loved getting another glimpse into Jane's life!  If you are a fan of Jane Austen, this is a MUST for you! I really enjoyed it.


6.  Maid to Match - I am in the middle (well, actually the end) of this book but wanted to go ahead and put it on here so I could cross it off my list!  I have been wanting to read this one for a long time not even knowing what it was about (sad, isn't it).  Now, I can say, I am soooo glad I am reading it and I want to go to the Biltmore to see where the story takes place.  I absolutely LOVE Deanna Gist's writing  in this book.  She has developed the characters and story line so well. I don't want to put the book down (boo  . . . inservice the past few days).  I can picture the Biltmore Mansion as she is describing it and can see Tillie and Mack as they walk among the grounds and house even though I have never been there.  I really need to stop writing about it so I can finish it! I will let you know if I change my mind about this one, but I don't see that happening!


Now, go out and read . . . what have you been reading?  Even though my stack is a mile high, I am always looking for a good read!

1 comment:

abby hysmith said...

I recently finished the "Lineage of Grace" series by Francine Rivers, and several months ago I read The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers also...very good! I love reading and I think we have similar taste in books!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...