Thursday, January 13, 2011

Book Review: The Sacred Meal

I recently read the book The Sacred Meal by Nora Gallagher, which is part of the Ancient Practices series from Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze (They send me a free book - I write a review!).  The book was different than I had imagined, and, while I had a hard time with parts of it, there were some parts that I could take something away from the reading.  Ms. Gallagher brings a lot of history into this book, from the time of Jesus and the early church.  Much of the book is based on her feelings and experiences.  She has drawn on others’ to some degree, but I was discouraged with how little scripture she used in the book.  While, to me, this was a major disappointment, and a flaw of the book, she did bring out some points that I will think upon a little more the next time I partake of the Lord’s Supper.  The way she emphasized being part of the body was a great encouragement to me.  When she speaks of the body it is being the Lord’s people who are all taking of this feast at the same time.  We need to feel connected when we have been disconnected during the week.  We need to be reminded that we are not alone.  Jesus’ body brings us together each week to remind us of what He did for us – all of us who are a part of Him.  It is only because of Him and His sacrifice that we are able to do and partake of this feast each week.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...