Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mass Cooking

This past week I have been a cooking machine because I am not suppose to be at home today. We are suppose to be with our 120 college students in Paragould, AR, for ReCharge (they don't retreat, they Charge in the fall and ReCharge in the spring). However, Damon's dad had his retirement party yesterday in Texarakana, TX, and he is there. I really tried to figure out how I could go with two kids and come back on no sleep. After much deliberation, I realized that would not be the wise thing to do, so I have been doing all the cooking for the retreat before hand. My table and freezer was overflowing with potato soup, chili and cookies until yesterday about 2:00. I don't know how many of you cook for 120 college students, but I am always looking for easy recipes that feed thousands. I thought I would share with you the potato soup recipe and cookie recipe I used - just in case you ever need it. Unlike my friend Melissa, I do not have pretty pictures of the food because they were put in gallon freezer ziploc bags and aluminum pans!!! However, here are the recipes:

Crock Pot Potato Soup
2 lb. shredded hashbrowns
2 cans creamed soup
2 cans chicken broth
2 c. milk
1 T. minced onion flakes
1 t. garlic powder
ground pepper to taste

Put all ingredients except potatoes in the crock pot. Mix and then add potatoes. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Garnish with cheese or bacon. (Next time I make this I am going to add 1 lb. of Velveeta to the recipe as well.)

Cake Mix Cookies

1 cake mix (I used yellow or vanilla.)
1 c. chocolate chips or your choice of chips
1/2 - 1 c. oatmeal
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and cook at 350 for 8-10 minutes. I was able to get 40-48 medium size cookies out of this recipe.

I was so proud of myself - having everything ready to go before Friday at lunch. By 2:00 I had 3 coolers full of soup and 4 pans full of cookies ready for them to take. The pressure was off and I was breathing easier . . . . until I opened the freezer Friday night and found 2 containers of potato soup that did not get sent. Then I was worried they did not have enough food. It just never stops!!

2 comments:

Melissa Lester said...

Cooking for more than 100 college students -- my hat is off to you, girl! And congratulations on getting a new sister-in-law!

Marie said...

i'm so glad to know that you sre taking care of my brother's nutrition! congrats on you new sister; that's so exciting! hope to see you at mm!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...