Tuesday, December 9, 2008

HAH Family Christmas

Tonight we had our HAH (Home Away from Home) kids over for Christmas dinner. Our kids met each student at the door and immediately wanted them to open their stockings full of surprises. I did not get pictures of the stockings (kicking myself now) full of goodies. The guys found over the door basketball goals, ear warmers for football season (2 of them got PKA ones and our soon-to-be med student got one with UAB on it), travel size Axe body wash, duct tape, Carmex, candy, hot chocolate and popcorn in their stockings. The girls found sleep socks, Kool-Aid chap stick, specialized pocket size Kleenexes, travel mugs with their names embroidered (thanks, Melissa), hot chocolate, popcorn and candy in their stockings. We dined on Mexican Chicken Stuff with chips and tortilla shells.
Mexican Chicken Stuff
1 can mexicorn
1 can corn (or you can use 2 cans instead of mexicorn)
1-2 cans black beans
2 cans rotel
6 chicken breasts
1 package taco seasoning
1 small jar mild salsa
Drain and empty all cans into a crock pot. Place chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken and pour salsa over that. Cook on high for 6 hours. Shred chicken at the end and place back in the mixture. Serve with chips or tortilla shells with cheese and sour cream.

Our HAH Family

From right to left: Laura Beth, Alex, Ashley, Rachelle, Carissa, Eric, Ashley, Tyler and Carter.

10 comments:

Sandy said...

The Mexican Chicken stuff sounds great!

AndreaLeigh said...

Can't wait to try the recipe. How sweet of you to do your HAH celebration. Thanks for coming by my blog!

Julie said...

you are such a rock star, I bet those kids love you!!!!

MaricrisG said...

Cute pictures! You all seem to have so much fun! HAH it is! :) Anyway, thank you for visiting my blog- sorry it took me this long to visit you back :)

Aunt Julie said...

Sounds like so much fun. And I'll definitely try the recipe! Listen, Aunt Julie put your Pay It Forward gift in the mail yesterday. It should be on its way, even as we speak. It will come in 2 installments...the actual, homemade gift from Aunt Julie, and a Holiday Card from moi. We didn't get our acts together to coordinate! And I blogged about your prize today, so please check it out!

Melissa Lester said...

These HAH kids are so blessed! I would have loved to have people like you and Damon in my life when I was in college. You are really teaching your children to love other people, taking them shopping for children their own age and helping them embrace young adults as well. You are too sweet!

Unknown said...

I would definitely use picture #2 for Christmas cards, way more fun. I'm stopping over from SITS to wish you a wonderful day!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

my fav pics are the silly ones! yeah!

Nichole said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday and for leaving a comment while you were there :o)

Smelling Coffee said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've been looking for something to make next weekend - and I think I just found it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...